Canadian Teen suffered from an unusual injury due to vaping
Vaping related illness is on the rise these days. But the Canadian teen who is suffering from the Popcorn Lung injury is not so common, said the researchers.
According to the Canadian Medical Association Journal, the 17-year-old boy was put into the emergency room when he suffered from breathlessness and high fever.
The teen’s health worsened so much that he was put on the ECMO machine and was breathing via the artificial lung.
The report said that the teen was continuously vaping every day from the past five months from a variety of e-cigarettes, causing extensive damage to his lungs.
Doctors suspect he might have popcorn lung
After conducting several tests, doctors came to the decision that he has bronchiolitis, which means his bronchioles were inflamed and blocked.
In other terms, it is also called Popcorn lung, a rare condition where bronchioles get damaged. This can be caused by inhaling chemicals.
The report said it was the first case of rare vaping injury in Canada.
The boy was also referred to lung transplant as his condition worsened day by day but after a slight improvement in his health, it was not required.
After being kept in a comprehensive care unit for 47 days, the boy was discharged.
The CMAJ deputy editor Dr. Matthew Stranbrook wrote that this case gives the first direct evidence of bronchiolitis obliterans i.e. popcorn lung, caused by the e-cigarettes.