Ukraine strikes Russian ammunition depot: At least 7 killed in missile attack
At least seven people were reportedly killed due to a Ukrainian missile strike on a large ammunition store in the town of Nova Kakhovka, in Russia-occupied Kherson on Thursday. Reports claim that this strike was attributed to recently acquired US weapons.
- Ukraine crisis has been unresolved since Russia annexed Crimea in 2014, and this has ignited a new wave of hostility in the past weeks as Ukraine conducted several attacks against Russian militants.
- Nova Kakhovka is in Kherson province that Russian forces largely occupy, and it lies next to the Crimean peninsula, which Russia annexed in 2014.
- A Ukrainian Himars missile system is said to be behind the explosion as it has been responsible for recent attacks on ammunition warehouses and Russian command centers.
The strike hit a warehouse close to a key railway line and a dam on the Dnipro River. Footage on social media showed the explosion burning ammunition and towering smoke. Officials from the Russian-installed administration in the town said the strike destroyed warehouses containing saltpetre, a chemical compound that can be used to make fertiliser or gunpowder.
- Imaging from Nasa’s Firms global fire tracking system showed a number of secondary blazes in buildings around the initial blast site.
- In Donetsk oblast, Ukraine’s state emergency service continued to dig for survivors from a Russian strike on an apartment block in Chasiv Yar, where the death toll has reached 38.
- Pro-Russia officials and some Ukrainian commentators quickly suggested that the explosion was the result of a strike by Ukraine’s newly supplied US Himars missile system. A number of recent strikes on ammunition warehouses and Russian command centers have been attributed to Himars.
- Russian-backed authorities accused Ukraine of damaging civilian infrastructure.
- Kyiv said it had launched artillery barrages that destroyed a Russian arms depot, hitting artillery, armored vehicles, “and a warehouse with ammunition,” and in addition carried out a “special operation” to free military captives in the Moscow-controlled region.
- Alexander Sladkov, a war reporter for the state-run broadcaster Rossiya 1, wrote on Telegram this week that Ukraine was successfully attacking Russian command centers. “Ukrainian missiles and artillery have struck decision-making centers several times, with results,” he wrote. “The centers are small but important.”
- The deployment and effectiveness of the Himars system has been causing increasing consternation among pro-Russia figures and military bloggers in Russia.
- While Ukraine only has a handful of the systems, Himars does appear currently to be having a disproportionate impact for the number of launchers available.
Ukraine’s provocation against Russia amid unresolved territorial disputes has escalated the already-heightened hostilities in the region. With Ukraine’s recent strike against the ammunition storage facilities in Kherson, we can expect Russia to intensify its counteroffensive operations. The disastrous impacts of this attack could further fuel the tensions between the two nations and result in a more significant military conflict.
Q1. Who is responsible for the attack on the ammunition depot in Kherson?
Reports claim that Ukraine is responsible for the attack as they targeted a Russian-controlled location, and Ukrainian Himars missile system is thought to have caused the explosion.
Q2. What is the ongoing crisis between Ukraine and Russia?
The conflict between Ukraine and Russia ignited in 2014 when Russia annexed Crimea. The unresolved territorial disputes and frequent hostilities have escalated into a crisis that continues to fuel the tensions between the two nations.
Q3. How did Russia react to the recent missile strike in Kherson?
Russia backed authorities accused Ukraine of damaging civilian infrastructure due to the strike, and the attack could further inflame the already-heightened tensions between them.
Q4. What is Himars missile system, and why is it causing consternation in Russia?
Himars is a multi-purpose missile system primarily used by the United States to target enemy positions. This missile system is responsible for recent attacks on Russian command centres and ammunition warehouses, resulting in an increase in tension among pro-Russia figures and military bloggers in Russia.
Q5. What is the future of the ongoing conflict between Ukraine and Russia?
The current attack on the ammunition storage facilities in Kherson can lead to more intensified military conflict between the two nations. If things continue to escalate, there could be possible international interventions to resolve the dispute through diplomatic settlements.