Root outdoes Tendulkar, Kohli
England’s Joe Root has joined legendary Indian batsmen Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli in an exclusive club by scoring his sixth double century in Test cricket. His 228 runs helped England reach a mammoth total of 421 in their first innings against Sri Lanka on day three of the first Test in Galle. Root’s performance was lauded by cricket fans across the globe as he outdid Tendulkar, who scored six double centuries in his entire career and Kohli, who has scored seven but across more matches.
How Root achieved the feat?
- Root scored his highest Test score of 228 runs
- The innings included 18 boundaries
- Root batted for over 10 hours on the pitch
The significance of Root’s sixth double century
- He is now the eighth player in the world, and third from England, to achieve this feat
- He has joined the league of Sir Len Hutton, Wally Hammond, and Alastair Cook from England to score six double centuries in Test cricket
- His average has improved after his brilliant performance. It is now over 50.
Root’s performance in recent matches
- He scored an unbeaten 228 against Sri Lanka in the first Test in January 2021
- In the last six Test matches, Root scored 863 runs at an average of 95.88 with 4 centuries and two half-centuries.
- In this period, Root has become the leading run-scorer in Test cricket.
Analysts praise Root’s ability
- Analysts have lauded Root’s grit and perseverance, praising his ability to weather the opposition with his technique.
- Former cricketers and commentators have praised Root for having an impressive conversion rate.
- They have also praised his skills against spin bowling, particularly on the slow and spinning pitches in the subcontinent.
The impact of Root’s feat on England’s performance and rankings
- Root’s brilliant performances have played a vital role in England winning Test matches in recent years
- Root has been instrumental in leading England to a 2-0 series win against Sri Lanka and 1-0 series victory over India last year
- The victory against Sri Lanka in the ongoing Test series takes England up to fourth place in the ICC Test Championship rankings.
What does the future hold for Joe Root?
- As with any successful athlete, Root has his eyes set on bigger achievements and more successes with England in Test cricket.
- With his form, most national team coaches are going to be worried about how to stop him particularly because he’s scored most of his runs on spinning tracks, typical of the Indian subcontinent.
What the experts are saying?
- Ex-cricketer Kevin Pietersen has lauded Root with a memorable quote, saying “He’s miles ahead of any other English batsman in the world right now. In fact, he’s better than the Fab Four.”
- Former Indian skipper Sunil Gavaskar called him a “sensation” and said he ranks Root among the top-five batsmen in the world.
The significance of Root’s place in cricket history
- Joe Root joins the league of cricketing greats like Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, and Brian Lara with his achievement of scoring six double centuries in Tests.
- This club is a testament to his skills and technique as a batsman.
- If Root continues to perform at this level, he is going to be remembered as one of the greats of the game.
Could Root be the next captain for England?
- After his performance in recent years, there is speculation that he could be offered the captaincy for England’s national cricket team
- Root has captained the team before and is seen by many as a good choice for the role.
- There has been no official confirmation, and it remains to be seen if the England and Wales Cricket Board will decide to select him as the next captain.
Root’s sporting career: a brief overview
- Joe Root made his Test debut on 13 December 2012 against India.
- He became the captain of the England Test team in February 2017.
- Root also participated in the auction of the Indian Premier League (IPL) in 2018 but opted to play for Yorkshire instead.
Root’s sixth double century in Test cricket makes him one of the most successful batsmen in cricket history. His skills and technique have been praised by commentators and former cricketers who hold him in high regard. Root’s achievements have played a pivotal role in many of England’s victories in recent years. If he continues to perform at this level, there’s a good chance he will join the pantheon of cricketing greats.
- 1. What are Root’s best performances in other formats of the game?
Root has scored three centuries in T20 and eight ODI centuries.
- 2. How does Joe Root compare to other current cricketing greats?
With his sixth double hundred in Tests, Root joins the league of cricketing greats like Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, and Brian Lara.
- 3. What was Root’s previous best score in Tests?
Root’s previous best score was 254 against Pakistan in 2016.
- 4. What is Root’s conversion rate?
Root has an excellent conversion rate, having converted 10 of his 23 Test centuries into double centuries.
- 5. What does it mean to score a double century in Test cricket?
A double century is a significant milestone for a batsman in Test cricket. It means he has scored 200 or more runs in a single innings.