Johnny Depp to donate $1m: Donation to Five Charities
Actor Johnny Depp recently received a $1 million settlement from his defamation case against ex-wife Amber Heard. In agreement with the settlement, Depp plans to donate a portion of the funds to five charities. The settlement case concluded with a Virginia jury ruling in favor of Depp on June 1, 2022. Here’s what we know so far:
Plan to Donate $200,000 to Each of Five Charities
Depp plans to donate $200,000 to each of the following five charities:
- Make-A-Film Foundation: Provides opportunities for young people with serious or life-threatening illnesses to collaborate with noted film industry talent to create short films.
- Red Feather: Develops sustainable housing solutions for Native American communities.
- The Painted Turtle: Founded by Paul Newman in 1999, this organization provides a camp experience for children with life-threatening illnesses.
- Tetiaroa Society: Works on the conservation of the natural and cultural heritage of the island of Tetiaroa, near Tahiti.
- Amazonia Fund Alliance: An alliance of nonprofits and sustainability-driven companies that support innovative preservation in Indigenous communities throughout the Amazon.
Reasons for the Settlement and Donation
Heard previously paid over $10 million in damages to Depp. Depp was later ordered to pay Heard $2 million following her countersuit. The $1 million defamation settlement with Heard has led Depp to donate a portion of the funds to charitable organizations.
Quotes from Depp and Heard
Depp’s lawyers stated, “We are pleased to formally close the door on this painful chapter for Mr. Depp, who made clear throughout this process that his priority was about bringing the truth to light.” Heard has stated, “It’s important for me to say that I never chose this. I defended my truth and, in doing so, my life as I knew it was destroyed. The vilification I have faced on social media is an amplified version of the ways in which women are re-victimised when they come forward.”
After years of legal battles, the settlement between Depp and Heard regarding the defamation case concluded with a million-dollar payment to Depp, with the actor choosing to donate a portion of the funds to various organizations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the reason behind Johnny Depp’s donation?
Depp plans to donate a portion of the $1 million settlement from his defamation case to five charitable organizations that he supports.
What are the selected charities for the donation?
The charities to receive Depp’s planned donations of $200,000 each are the Make-A-Film Foundation, The Painted Turtle, Red Feather, Tetiaroa Society, and Amazonia Fund Alliance.
How much did Depp receive from the defamation case?
Depp received a settlement of $1 million in his defamation case against Amber Heard.
What is the status of the defamation case?
The defamation case concluded with a Virginia jury ruling in favor of Depp on June 1, 2022, followed by the recent settlement payment from Heard.
Will Heard face any consequences?
Heard previously paid over $10 million in damages to Depp, and the couple reached a settlement regarding the defamation case.