National Comic Book Day: Why comics are still loved all over the world? Know about it all here

Celebrating stories and classic characters of comics, National Comic Book Day is something that bonds fans and collectors all over the world.

The term “comic book” originated when the first modern comic book printed in 1933, titled “Famous Funnies.”

Comic
The cover of Famous Funnies

It was a collection of humorous comic strips. Now, comics are homes of much-loved pop culture icons such as Superman, Batman, Iron Man, and Spider-Man. The characters have enjoyed much more recognition from their movie adaptations on-screen.

Marvel, DC top the comic world 

It’s not hidden that Marvel has been at the top of the game in the motion picture market. The Disney-owned company has grossed over $22.4 billion since 2008 from films alone. The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is now the highest-grossing franchise of all time, while the DCEU continues to live in its shadow.

Meanwhile, according to Diamond Comic Distributors, Inc., Marvel also dominates the comic book market. Marvel Comics holds 46.15 percent of the retail market share, while DC Comics owns a mere 24.86 percent. Together, these franchises own 71.01 percent of the market share, which is a remarkable feat. 

Credit: Edmonton Sun

Since 2002, superhero movies have affirmed the number one spot for the highest-grossing movie six times in the United States. Marvel accounts for five of them. DC took the throne with “The Dark Knight (2008).”

However, Marvel has reigned the box office with “Black Panther” in 2018 and “Avengers: Endgame” in 2019.

Meanwhile, comic book experts Brandon Thomas and Mitchell Hadaway, employees at Ames’ Mayhem Comics store also talk about the changes over time.

At Mayhem, the duo recommends comic books to customers based on their taste. Thomas said that working in a store surrounded by comics is a “dream.” He calls the stores as “a safe place” where people from all walks of life can come and read comics. On the other hand, for Hadaway, working at a comic book shop is always something he wanted to do.

For many people, comics are a form of escapism. The intricate yet complex universes help people forget about their everyday life. Therefore, the world of comics is bigger than ever before!

Fatima Kamil
Striving to Learn the Art of Everything | Book Lover | Movie Lover

The magicians season 5 episode 8 inside details: plot, cast, release...

The Magicians is an American fictional television series that is broadcasted on SYFY. It is based on a novel by the same name by...