The Duchess of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers over an article that printed parts of a leaked letter she wrote to her father Thomas.
The next stage in Meghan’s legal battle was heard at the High Court this morning before Master Francesca Kaye – the Mail on Sunday accused Meghan of “co-operating” with the authors of Finding Freedom.
Mr. Sherborne, 51, lost a first pre-trial hearing in May and Meghan had to pay £67,888 in legal costs.
Last month, represented by Mr. Rushbrooke, the duchess, 39, won the most recent tussle in the legal action, after Mr. Justice Warby ruled in her favor over protecting the identities of five friends who gave an anonymous interview to a US magazine.
The senior judge said he had concluded that “for the time being at least” Meghan should be granted an order which protects the identities of the individuals.
Following the ruling last month, a source said the duchess was “happy” with the decision.
Meghan is suing ANL over five articles in total, two in the MoS and three on MailOnline, which were published in February 2019, and reproduced parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her father in August 2018.
The headline on the article read: “Revealed: The letter showing the true tragedy of Meghan’s rift with a father she says has ‘broken her heart into a million pieces’.”
The duchess is seeking damages from ANL for alleged misuse of private information, copyright infringement, and breach of the Data Protection Act.
Meanwhile, a royal expert has claimed Meghan “played Prince Harry like a piano” and “got everything she wanted”.
In her latest jibe at the couple, Lady Colin Campbell described the Duchess of Sussex as an “operator”.
Meghan and Harry, 36, started dating in July 2016 and were married two years later, before starting a new life in LA earlier this year.
The pair stepped down as senior royals in January and have since signed an £112 million deal with Netflix – as well as taking up public speaking opportunities.